Edmund Mark Aden is Here….

Who would have thunk it?

I certainly was waiting for this time with baited breath. Actually, to be completely honest and truthful, I did a horrible job of waiting. A week before Edmund’s due date I was trying to do everything possible to get the little Sir out on time or sooner. Carolyn, my sister, was over almost every day helping me walk, walk, walk. I bounced on a ball, I pumped till I was sore, and even tried primrose oil and the like. (I never did try Caster Oil and I’m glad of this). However, Sir Edmund stood firm. He would not come out until he was good and ready. I guess he was good and ready on Monday 8/8/16.

I went into labor at 10:30 pm after walking, pumping and bouncing on my blue bouncy ball. (This was, of course, a week later than my actual due date). Things got hard pretty quickly and I was going to the hospital at 4:00am the next morning because my contractions were so close together. I labored at the hospital  for 14 or so more hours before finally, after slowly progressing and the bag of waters not breaking on it’s own, the midwife broke the bag with a crochet hook looking utensil. Once it was broken, I felt a whole new level of pain. (I didn’t have an epidural because I am so afraid of needles and I was sure they would do it incorrectly. My friend in England had to have several before it worked and my mother got massive headaches because they punctured the spine. NO THANK YOU!) I had horrible back labor all through, so my Doula, Paula, stood on one side and Matthew stood on the other, pushing my pelvis in so it wouldn’t feel like my back was splitting apart.

When it came to push, I was completely done. I just wanted to sleep and the pain to stop. I was so anxious to get Edmund out that I pushed as hard as I could with the contractions. (I felt the urge to push). This stressed him out and his heart rate dropped.  I had to drop on my back and push him out on my side. I forgot to breath so they made me take an oxygen mask because Edmund was not getting enough. When he finally came, I birthed his head and arm/elbow at the same time. They thought that this awkward position was why it was so hard of a labor. But after that, it was easy-peasy. They stitched me up, and got my into another room for recovery.

For me, I didn’t feel much much pain after delivery. (Or it didn’t feel like that much after being in horrible pain for 17 hours). I focused on the fact that I had just made it through and had my little boy. There really is no greater joy. I now understand why woman put themselves through the awful torture that is labor. Of course, I DON’T understand why people have two kids after they know what happens with the first one. (And I know people with 10 kids).

But that is the story. Was it painful? Yup. Was it worth it? Of course. Would I do it again? That still remains to be seen.


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s